Allergies in Florida: Symptoms and Types
Do you dread going outside because you have pollen allergies?
Allergies in Florida are seen most often in children, but actually, allergies can develop or disappear at any time or any age. Sometimes an allergy that you seem to lose, will return years later. That’s because allergies are the result of a chain reaction that starts with your genetics, triggers your immune system, and results in unpleasant, sometimes dangerous, symptoms.
Are dust mites and pet dander ruining your enjoyment of life?
Your immune system protects you from invading organisms that can cause illness. Occasionally, your immune system mistakes an otherwise harmless substance for an invader, and it overreacts. This triggering substance is called an allergen, and the reaction is called an allergy. Here are some typical allergy symptoms:
- Eye discomfort: redness, itching, swelling, tearing
- Nasal discomfort: congestion, itchiness, postnasal drip
- Sinus discomfort: pain, pressure, recurrent infections,
- Ear discomfort: fullness, pain, recurrent infections
- Skin problems: irritation, itching, welts, rash, hives
- Respiratory symptoms: shortness of breath, wheezing, coughing, chest tightness
- Overall health: fatigue or hyperactivity
Allergies in Florida
Floridians know well that they struggle through a unique set of allergy symptoms that can be particularly miserable. Because of the weak winters and persistent moisture, plants prosper, creating more pollen throughout the year as well as better conditions for other kinds of allergies. Allergies in Florida tend to last longer, making quick and effective relief very important for allergy sufferers.
Common Allergies in Florida:
There are several kinds of allergies that Floridians suffer from the most, each with its unique struggles. Some of the most common allergies in Florida include:
- Dust/dander allergies: When dust begins to build up, and pets enter a home you may find yourself having an allergic response. For many, this means itchy eyes and congestion.
- Flower pollen allergies: In Florida, there are wonderful species of flowers all around. One of the most common is ragweed. When the wind blows their pollen around, many allergy sufferers feel the effects such as sneezing, watering eyes, and a blocked nose.
- Mold allergies: Because of Florida’s damp and humid weather, mold allergies in Florida can occur frequently. Mold allergies can be dangerous to many, especially those with asthma. Many sufferers see a stuffy nose, congestion, and more.
- Grass pollen allergies: Because Florida is prone to having wind coming through the state, pollen from the grass is spread in the same way that flower pollen is.
- Tree pollen allergies: Tree pollen is also carried through the wind. Our diverse assortment of trees means that there is plenty of tree pollen to go around. Those with severe tree pollen allergies have to be careful about going out on especially windy days.
Relief for Allergies in Florida:
When allergies persist for an extended period of time, there is no need to continue to suffer. Collier Otolaryngology can get to the root of your allergy problems, and provide real relief. From fall allergies in Florida to summer allergies in Florida, our team will do our best to provide you with year long relief.
In addition, some allergens can produce anaphylaxis, a serious, life-threatening allergic reaction. Anaphylaxis can affect more than one part of the body at the same time, causing symptoms ranging from a red and itchy rash and feelings of warmth or lightheadedness to tightening of the throat, shortness of breath, and a drop in blood pressure that leads to unconsciousness and shock.
Symptoms of anaphylaxis can happen very quickly and require immediate medical treatment often with a trip to an emergency room. If it is not treated properly and promptly, anaphylaxis can be fatal.
Don't live with the misery of allergy symptoms and the possibility of serious consequences.
If you or anyone in your family is suffering from allergy symptoms, a personalized treatment plan can improve your overall health and quality of life. Our ENT specialists at Collier Otolaryngology will use allergy testing to determine your specific allergens and then develop a personal treatment plan to help you overcome your allergies, feel better, and live better.How are allergies treated?
The Patient Experience
We believe in providing a comfortable patient atmosphere with the highest quality, state-of-the-art services available. Our goal is to diagnose your Ear Nose & Throat needs and find the right treatment for the best possible outcome.Learn More About Our Practice
Don't let your allergies control your life!
Find out about allergy testing and treatment at Collier Otolaryngology!Request a Consultation